Part time students -- Defined -- Enrollment authorized -- Reimbursement for costs -- Funding authority recognition -- Rules, regulations.
(1) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) "Private school student" shall mean any student enrolled full time in a private school;
(b) "School" shall mean any primary, secondary or vocational school;
(c) "School funding authority" shall mean any nonfederal governmental authority which provides moneys to common schools;
(d) "Part time student" shall mean and include: Any student enrolled in a course of instruction in a private school and taking courses at and/or receiving ancillary services offered by any public school not available in such private school; or any student who is not enrolled in a private school and is receiving home-based instruction under RCW 28A.225.010 which instruction includes taking courses at or receiving ancillary services from the local school district or both; or any student involved in any work training program and taking courses in any public school, which work training program is approved by the school board of the district in which such school is located.
(2) The board of directors of any school district is authorized and, in the same manner as for other public school students, shall permit the enrollment of and provide ancillary services for part time students: PROVIDED, That this section shall only apply to part time students who would be otherwise eligible for full time enrollment in the school district.
(3) The superintendent of public instruction shall recognize the costs to each school district occasioned by enrollment of and/or ancillary services provided for part time students authorized by subsection (2) of this section and shall include such costs in the distribution of funds to school districts pursuant to RCW 28A.150.260. Each school district shall be reimbursed for the costs or a portion thereof, occasioned by attendance of and/or ancillary services provided for part time students on a part time basis, by the superintendent of public instruction, according to law.
(4) Each school funding authority shall recognize the costs occasioned to each school district by enrollment of and ancillary services provided for part time students authorized by subsection (2) of this section, and shall include said costs in funding the activities of said school districts.
(5) The superintendent of public instruction is authorized to adopt rules and regulations to carry out the purposes of RCW 28A.150.260 and 28A.150.350.
[1990 c 33 § 112; 1985 c 441 § 5; 1977 ex.s. c 359 § 8; 1972 ex.s. c 14 § 1; 1969 ex.s. c 217 § 4. Formerly RCW 28A.41.145.]
Severability -- 1985 c 441: See note following RCW 28A.225.010.
Effective date -- Severability -- 1977 ex.s. c 359: See notes following RCW 28A.150.200.
Severability -- 1972 ex.s. c 14: "If any provision of this 1972 amendatory act, or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act, or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is held invalid." [1972 ex.s. c 14 § 2.]
Basic Education Act, RCW 28A.150.350 as part of: RCW 28A.150.200.
WAC 392-134-010 Attendance rights of part-time public school students.An eligible part-time public school student who qualifies as a resident of a public school district pursuant to the definition of a "resident student" set forth in chapter 392-137 WAC, as now or hereafter amended, shall be entitled to attend the schools of the district within his or her attendance area tuition free on a part-time basis. An eligible part-time public school student shall be entitled to take any course, receive any ancillary service, and take or receive any combination of courses and ancillary services which is made available by a public school to full-time students. Eligible nonresident part-time public school students may be enrolled at the discretion of a public school district pursuant to the terms and procedures established for nonresident student attendance in chapter 392-137 WAC, as now or hereafter amended.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.41.145. 80-05-035 (Order 80-6), § 392-134-010, filed 4/15/80.]
WAC 392-134-030 Compliance with rules as a condition of state funding.Each public school district shall certify compliance with this chapter as a condition to the reimbursement of costs pursuant to RCW 28A.150.250, 28A.150.260 and 28A.150.350, as now or hereafter amended. State and federal funds shall be withheld in whole or part or recovered in whole or part through reduction in future entitlements of a district as necessary to enforce the provisions and intent of this chapter.
[Statutory Authority: 1990 c 33. 90-16-002 (Order 18), § 392-134-030, filed 7/19/90, effective 8/19/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.41.145. 80-05-035 (Order 80-6), § 392-134-030, filed 4/15/80.]